Table of Contents
The DMPTool Community Resources Library serves as a central location for information about the tool itself, resources for promoting use of the tool, and general data management best practices information. In the future we anticipate that this library of resources will be community-driven, providing DMPTool administrators a way to contribute to the resources listed here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our FAQ page, github.com/CDLUC3/dmptool/wiki/FAQ, to find out answers to common questions, or to ask your own questions and get answers from the community.
Go to Promote the DMPTool page. Postcards, slide decks, and other materials to help institutional administrators spread the word about the DMPTool on their campus and engage in discussions with their institution's stakeholders about data management.
Data Management Primers
- ICPSR Guide to Social Science Data Preparation and Archiving. ICPSR is one of the premier social science data repositories. Their handbook on preparing data for archiving is extremely thorough, and will ensure high quality data.
- UK data archive. The UK Data Archive has an excellent knowledge base for the creation and management of data. These guides are an excellent place to start for data project management issues.
- DataONE primer on data management. This PDF covers the basics of data management, arranged in the context of the data lifecycle and geared towards researchers.
- Data Management for Libraries: A LITA Guide. A short guide on data management topics, focused on helping libraries understand data management to better provide services for researchers that they support.
Many academic libraries use LibGuides as a self-publishing tool to store reference information. We have listed some below that are great resources for data management.
Repository Selection Help
Choosing the right data repository goes a long way towards ensuring data are discoverable. The two websites here provide a database of repositories that can be searched on data type, keyword, and other features.
IMLS Webinar Series
As part of work funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, we hosted a webinar series on topics relating to data management planning. Recordings and slides are available from the DMPTool Blog. Topics include:
- Introduction to the DMPTool. May 28, 2013.
- Learning about data management: Resources, tools, materials you can use. June 4, 2013.
- Customizing the DMPTool for your institution. June 18, 2013.
- Environmental Scan: Who's important at your campus. June 25, 2013.
- Promoting institutional services with the DMPTool; EZID as example. July 9, 2013.
- Health Sciences and the DMPTool. July 16, 2013.
- Digital humanities and the DMPTool. July 30, 2013.
- Data curation profiles and the DMPTool. August 13, 2013.
- Talking points for meeting with institutional stakeholders. August 27, 2013.
- Beyond funder requirements: more extensive DMPs. October 1, 2013.
- Tools and resources that complement the DMPTool. October 15, 2013.
Other DMPTool webinars
- Data Management Plans: Tips, Tricks and Tools. January 11, 2012. Recording and Slides
- DMPTool for Data Management Plans. October 19, 2011. Recording and Slides
- Data Management Planning Tool. July 14, 2011. Recording and Slides
Data Management Guidance
Basic information about data management is available at Data Management Guidance. Topics include:
Presentations and Press about DMPTool
Visit the Presentations and Press page of the DMPTool Blog for a full list.